Nutrition Recipe: Italian Herb Uncured Ham Stuffed Mushrooms
Since March is National Nutrition Month, we are collaborating with Day by Day Nutrition, LLC‘s Jocelin Lamprey RD, LDN on several recipes. This week’s recipe is Italian Herb Ham Stuffed Mushrooms! These are great as an appetizer to feed a group, or only have a few people eat them as a meal.
We made a few alterations to make these a nutritional take on a stuffed mushroom. The first is not using bread crumbs in the actual stuffing. We only put breadcrumbs on the top to add a crispy element without adding a ton of calories and carbs throughout the mixture. We also added several nutrient-rich vegetables and swapped regular cheese for goat cheese which is more easily digestible and has a lot of flavor in a smaller amount of cheese, meaning fewer calories. Our Italian Herb Uncured Ham has significantly less sodium in it compared to the average deli meat ham, and because our hams are a top or bottom round single muscle instead of many different muscles macerated together, we have much more protein density. Overall, making this a dish you can feel great about eating and serving.
Italian Herb Uncured Ham Stuffed Mushrooms
-makes 10 servings as an appetizer
1/2 lb. Farmers & Cooks Italian Herb Uncured Ham (buy as a whole piece
20 White mushrooms
18 oz Fresh Spinach
1 Orange bell pepper
1 Yellow onion
4 oz. Goat cheese (We like Vermont Creamery)
1/2 cup Plain Panko Breadcrumbs
Salt & Pepper
- Dice ham.
- Wash and de-stem mushrooms.
- Sautee spinach and squeeze dry in paper towels.
- Roast bell pepper until skin is charred, and peel outer char layer once cooled. Then dice into small pieces.
- Dice yellow onion.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep all ingredients as indicated above.
- Mix ham, spinach, pepper, onion, and goat cheese.
- Salt and pepper mixture to taste.
- Stuff mushroom caps by using generous spoonfuls to create rounded tops.
- Place filled mushrooms on a baking sheet.
- Mix plain panko breadcrumbs with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle panko mixture on top of each mushroom.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until mushrooms are browning and panko is golden brown.
These can be prepared ahead of time, and then baked on site or at the time of your gathering or party. Let us know how you enjoy our Italian Herb Uncured Ham and this recipe on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest! Have recipe ideas for us? Question? Let us know!